Stained glass is an art and craft that many people take as a hobby. Stained glass is often used in the making of lampshades and windows. Meanwhile, it is also useful for cabinet doors, boxes, picture frames, clocks, and lots more.
Stained glass soldering iron is one of the most expensive items of all the stained glass kit. And truly they should be!
Do you know it is a whole wasted effort to purchase a cheap soldering iron and later find out that it does not solder properly? There is nothing more discouraging than this, and it may put you off soldering forever!
Soldering iron is a crucial part of the stained glass kit. Therefore, you need to choose carefully. If you are so sure that you know what exactly you are looking for.
How to Choose the Best Soldering Iron/Station for Stained Glass?
There are so many things to be considered when selecting a soldering iron for stained glass.
- The handle should be heat resistant
- Check the wattage of any iron carefully before you consider it.
- It must be comfortable to hold
- It must be balanced and of a medium weight because you may need to hold it for several hours at a go.
- It must be able to generate enough heat continuously to melt any solder you plan to work with and be compatible with the type of construction you are using, for example, copper, lead came, foil, rebar, etc. You need an iron that generates at least 60 watts, chisel type tips, and a means of controlling the temperature
Top Two Recommendations from Our Review Team
However, if you are looking for the best soldering iron with a satisfactory result, Weller WLC200 80-Watt Stained Glass soldering station is a stand-out among others. It has all the features enumerated above with an average price around $74 on Amazon.
- It has a variable power control which produces 5-80-watt
- It possesses an on/off switch power on indicator
- Operates with MTG20, 21 and 22 tips
- The present of a quality lightweight pencil iron
- It does not experience cold spot like other stained glass soldering irons do when they try to recover heat
- It possesses a cushioned foam grip that comes with replaceable heating element
- Also, UL listed
Weller WLC200 80-Watt Stained Glass Soldering station is not the cheapest product, but every quality product worth its price.
>> Get WLC200 Stained Glass Soldering Station from Amazon <<
Great alternate – Weller-100 Watts Soldering Iron
The Weller-100 watt soldering iron is also a professional’s choice. It maintains temperature steadily and lesser in price, cheap to run, lightweight, heats up in no time and maintains temperature consistently. It would cost you around $65.00.
- It reaches temperature very fast
- It is easy to use for beginners as it is thermostatically controlled. This indicates that you do not have to adjust the temperature while you still solder nor do you need a costly rheostat (separate temperature controller)
- It’s lightweight
- Temperature cannot be adjusted
- Very occasionally this iron will experience cold spots. It means that the temperature will drop, and it will need to rest for a minute or two to regain its heat
>> See Full User Reviews, Ratings and Price of Weller 100 Watts Soldering Iron on Amazon <<
However, comparing the two soldering irons, it is clear that though the price of Weller WLC200 80-Watt stained glass soldering station is higher compared to Weller-100 watt soldering iron, it is better off, and it’s worth it.
When choosing soldering iron for your stained glass kit, considering Weller WLC200 80-Watt stained glass soldering station is a no brainier.